Not too long ago, I received a phone call from another entrepreneur asking for my guidance with a few things. So, while we were talking I mentioned to him that I had some information on my desk that might could help him out. I quickly ran to my office, my neck crooked holding my phone in place. When I rushed in, I immediately stopped in my tracks. And, I stood there staring in disbelief at my desk. With all the holidays errands, holiday guests, holiday extra trips to the grocery store I had neglecting tidying up my office, much less my desk. There were 3 large piles of paper stacked up so high, I thought I was looking at a new mountain range. Definitely not an example of a feng shui office.
Why have I not addressed this? Why had I let it go? Two weeks haven’t even gone by and it’s come to this? “And now I can’t find that important piece of information when I need it. The past 3 days all seem to have been like this.” I thought to myself. There wasn’t really even a spot of clean desk to be found. I told my buddy that I’d have to get back with him in the next day or two.
How would you like to be able think clear and be more productive? Would you like a more harmonious work environment that invigorates and supports you and everyone else you work with? Would you like your business to be more prosperous? If you answered yes to any of those questions, then feng shui for your business just might be for you.
Feng Shui is the ancient Chinese art of placing objects in your environment to be in harmony and balance with the natural world around you. And, feng shui takes a look at how energy (also called chi or qi) flows through your office (or home / car / and even desk!).
So, it could take years to really get the art of feng shui down, but below I have put together an initial 7 simple feng shui office tips to encourage success in your business.
Feng Shui Office | 7 Easy Tips to Increase Your Success
1. Declutter Your Desk and Work Environment.
According to feng shui, your business prosperity and work performance can be amplified by decluttering and establishing order on your desk.Productive chi cannot flow if all that “stuff” on your desk is blocking its movement and cluttering up your mind as well as your workspace. Take everything off your desk and clean up any cluttered areas around it. Only keep out items on your desk that you use daily. Limit the amount of papers on your desk to those for one project only. Place your other papers and items somewhere other than the top of your desk like in desk drawers, file cabinets, desk drawers, and/or storage cabinets.
2. Understand the bagua map. The feng shui bagua map is one of the main tools to analyze the energy of a certain space. Bagua is the feng shui energy map of your environment that shows you which areas your office / desk / home is connected to specific areas of your life. Stand inside your office with your back to the front door. Now look straight in front of you. The section of your house in the far right corner is the relationship zone. The part in the far left corner is the money sector. And work yourself around the map. This works the same with your desk even.
3. Time to Spark Things Up. Now that you understand the bagua map and your desk is clutter-free, add in visually appealing, positive and career enhancing things. Use the bagua to guide you; imagine your desktop divided into a nine-part grid, as in the bagua map shown above. And, choose several areas of your life that need a little extra boost, and use the following tips to attract good energy to those areas. So, don’t get too crazy littering your desk with items – remember clutter blocks creativity, so leave a minimum of 50 percent of your desktop clear at all times. Only choose 1-3 sections to focus on at a time; don’t try to hone in on all nine sections at once.
4. Placement of Your Desk in a Room or Office. In the practice of feng shui, the prosperity, success and happiness you experience in your business life is extremely influenced by the position of your desk. The prime desk position is the Command Position. So, the Command Position is when your desk is located diagonally across from the entry to the room, with your back to a solid wall and giving you the widest possible view of the room. And, ideally you’d like to be able to see all of the room’s doors and windows when you sit in the Command Position. Having visual control over your workspace gives you a much greater degree of true control over your work life. So, how often have you seen executives sitting with their backs to the doors of their offices?
5. Buy some live plants. Live plants bring many positive elements into your workplace. They improve air quality and bring a little of the natural world outside in with us.Green colored plants encourage personal and business growth. And if a plant dies, remove it and replace it with another. So, some great plants for business feng shui are the lucky bamboo plant, a jade plant, a peace lily or a moth orchid.
6. The element of water. Did you know that water is the most powerful symbol of money in feng shui? Its sparkling chi energy is beneficial for your health and prosperity but you must be careful that you keep the water clean at all times. Small fountains that are designed for a desk are great or you may even consider purchasing an aquarium. And, another way to incorporate water into your business is the use of any artifact that depicts water, like a picture.
7. Hang a personal motto. Write a personal motto / mantra on a sticky note and hang it up in an area that you tend to have in your line of vision often throughout the day; possibly like your computer screen.Some examples are: Bend before you break. | Don’t stagnate. Innovate. | Steady your reactions. | Finish 1 project before you start another. | Don’t look back. You’re not going that way. Having tailored personal motto’s where you can repeatedly see them will help you remain calm and focused throughout the day.
So, try out a few of these feng shui office tips I’ve mentioned and let me know how you do! And, if you are new to feng shui check out our blog on Feng Shui For Beginners. I have found that since setting up my workspace using feng shui I have much more clarity and I am getting a considerable amount of work finished. I am able to find things when I need them. Set up your feng shui office or work workspace for success and try coming up with a feng shui plan for your area of choice. Understand that making even small change can really make a big difference in bringing great energy to your business and/or office.
Have you used feng shui in your office set up? What has been your experience? I’d love to hear your thoughts and comments below!
Keep rocking – lots of love,