Warm sunlight spilled through the blinds and poured over me as I lay in my bed. Immediately my eyes flashed open and I felt a deep sinking in my tummy: I must have overslept — it’s never sunny when I wake up. Adrenaline spills throughout my body as I leap out of bed, making my way hastily down the stairs to let my dog out to pee. I glance at the clock and, yep, I am late.
Every one of us has definitely experienced those times when we wish there were just a few more hours in the day. Time truly is the #1 most important commodity because you can never get any of it back. The good news is you can control your productivity. Being aware of how you spend your time and making the most out of every minute is crucial to getting more accomplished throughout your day.
If you would like to get more done during your day, these simple tricks will help get you on your way.
8 Simple Tricks to Get More Done During Your Work Day
- Wake up one hour earlier & have your own power hour. Rushing around in the morning only brings stress. Make it a priority to wake up a bit earlier to have some “me” time. This will set the foundation for a successful day. Do read an inspirational text or listen to a motivational podcast. Feed your mind something positive.
- Meditate before you leave for work. Set aside a few minutes of your power hour to meditate. Some people like to take 10-15 minutes right when they wake up to clear their mind and meditate. Morning meditation is particularly powerful because it recharges and prepares you for the challenges that lie ahead. Once you do this for 30 days you will really begin to notice a difference in your stress levels, which allows you to get more done.
- Keep a daily to-do list & do the hardest items first. Each day make list of realistic tasks that need to get done. Remember to KISS it too: Keep It Super Simple. Whether you need to make a dentist appointment or mail off a utility bill, write it down.
Don’t try to keep everything in your mind because that causes unnecessary stress. One of the tricks to keeping a successful to-do list is to knock the hardest ones out of the way first. Once you can cross one off, move to the next. Don’t start anything else until you have accomplished the one you are on.
- Learn to schedule your time in chunks. To be more productive you must stay focused. One way to do this is to set aside a specific amount of uninterrupted time where you can focus 100% on the task at hand. This could mean putting your phone on silent, shutting your office door, or putting on headphones. Whatever it takes for you to work uninterrupted is what you need to do. If you are constantly being interrupted, it’s going to take you a lot longer to get your work done.
- Take a social media break. Give yourself a short hiatus from all the commotion that takes place hourly on Facebook, Twitter, or any of the other sites you follow; they will only distract you. If you handle social media for work, then make sure you stay logged out of your personal accounts so you don’t get sidetracked.
- Put on those headphones. Some people find music soothing and relaxing while they work, but even more important is the fact that other people are much less likely to disrupt you if they see you working with headphones on. This is an excellent trick to get more done at the office, so make sure you always have a pair handy.
- Keep your emails organized. Seeing 500 unread messages in your inbox just causes anxiety, so each day make sure you keep your inbox clean. With a massive amount of emails, it’s easy to miss the important ones.
When you go through your emails each day make sure you immediately delete them, reply to them or file them. Once you get in the habit of doing this it’s easy breezy.
By cutting down on the time it takes you to make a decision it will free up some other time. You’ll likely make the same decision you would have made in 30 minutes’ time.
- Learn to make 60-second decisions. To really be more productive during your day, you need to work and think quickly. Start by cutting down the amount of time it takes you to make a decision. For some people decision-making can be one of the most time-consuming tasks they do on a daily basis.
Getting up a bit earlier and preparing yourself to slay your day is critical to your success. Become aware of how you are spending your time and commit to making any necessary changes. The time is now to be your most productive self.